Science is a core subject and is taught on a weekly basis.
All the topics that we teach are from The Science National Curriculum and progressions is evident from Nursery up to Year 6.
- develop scientific knowledge and conceptual understanding through the specific disciplines of biology, chemistry and physics.
- develop understanding of the nature, processes and methods of science through different types of science enquiries that help them to answer scientific questions about the world around them.
- are equipped with the scientific knowledge required to understand the uses and implications of science, today and for the future.
We ensure that lessons insight interest and curiosity for the different aspects of science in the world around us. The children will undertake sessions that combine investigative skills and acquiring knowledge of scientific concepts, through practical activities and research. Teaching follows the KWL model of learning; -what the children know prior to teaching, what they want to find out about the topic to be taught and assessment of what they have learnt at the end of teaching. Please see the science overview on this website for the science units that are taught in each Year group.
The impact and measure of science at Holmleigh is to ensure children acquire the appropriate age related knowledge linked to the science curriculum, in addition to the skills which equip them to make progress.
All children will have:
- A wide range of skills linked to scientific knowledge and understanding, and scientific enquiry/investigative skills.
- A richer scientific vocabulary which will enable to articulate their understanding of concepts they have been taught.
- High aspirations, which will see them through to further study, work and success.
- With the above mentioned points in mind, we aim to provide the children with best possible experience of science whilst at Holmleigh Primary School.